Friday, May 22, 2009

Speedos!!!!

Sorry, about this, but I had to post this cropped guy from a 15thC painting by Matthaus of Kuttenberg. He's having a wash, having just been down the silver mine. Wouldn't look out of place on a modern beach would he?

The book in question is Goldsmiths. Medieval Craftsmen by John Cherry, published by the British Museum press.
This same painting even has a 'beach hut' and lifeguard tower for the guy.
The original painting is very similar to the 'Where's Willy?' (Waldo) story books of Martin Handford.

Below is the original painting. See if you can spot Speedo man! You can click on the painting to enlarge.














This is only an interim post while the author has a whimsical moment.
Normal service will be resumed over the weekend!

8 comments:

Marg said...

That is a very cool little detail!

Meghan said...

Thanks for this post! It made me (and several others on twitter) laugh. =)

Satima Flavell said...

What a marvellous pic! Very Breughelesue in its detail. I love it!

And nothing new under the sun, eh? Like those Minoan ladies in their bikinis.

Jules Frusher said...

Now THAT would make a great jigsaw puzzle! All it needs is a man in a stripy shirt and hat that you have to find!

Unknown said...

I was thinking it would be John Marshall in the speedos's!? ala the "wet suit" post a while back! :D

Elizabeth Chadwick said...

LOL! Marshallslion!
I kind of think John would go for something sexier though. I think he'll always be 'wetsuit surfer' in my mind's eye.
Satima - no there certainly is nothing new under the sun. I have seen medieval tight-fitting boxer short styles before now, but never the 'banana hammock' until I was browsing and caught this painting!

Lynn Irwin Stewart said...

That gives a whole new meaning to "where's Willy?" if you ask me!!

Carla said...

Great picture :-)