Sunday, March 19, 2006

First Post The Past

In between writing about King Stephen's abortive attempt to oust his vassal John Marshal from Marlborough Castle in September 1139, I am stumbling through the intricacies of setting up my first blog. It's been something I've been meaning to do for a while. Sometimes there are things I want to say that don't fit neatly into the subject matters of the e-loops to which I belong.
As the name of my blog suggests, many of my meanderings will be concerned with the research I do for my historical novels, but I may occasionally stroll off to explore other subjects as my whim and interest take me.
To keep my first post reasonably on topic and before I return to the face to face between Stephen and John, I thought I'd mention the research book currently occupying my bedside table. It's Ludgershall Castle: Excavations by Peter Addyman 1964-1972. John Marshal had custody of Ludgershall during the mid twelfth century and it's exciting looking at the finds that date to his period of occupation. I particularly like a hawthorn wood box with a ring and dot decoration of animal rib bones on the outside. One can imagine it sitting on a coffer in his chamber for use by him or his wife - and then one can write....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done, Elizabeth. Like the name. Like the colours. Am sure photos will follow.

And an excellent title to start off with!

Jane Henry said...

Glad to see you've joined me in blogland. It's nice here. I think you'll like it... And now you've got me interested in you John Marshall and I haven't even read about William yet... You must stop writing such interesting books!! Love Jane.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed visiting your site and will have to visit it often to watch it expand. Love Bex

Anonymous said...

Welcome to blogland. I was going to say something truly indecorous, but I realised that your blog is far more a place of dignity than mine. This, therefore, is a dignified welcome.

I might link to you for WHM. That'll put the fear of the Net into you: you may never log on again....

AnneMarie Brear said...

You've done very well. I like the colours of the blog. I will visit often.
With your permission I will put your blog link in my link list on my blog.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

I too really like the colour scheme. It looks very professional. Somehow I have an urge to start a blog now too! :)